Welcome to the Black Canyon Audubon Society
Black Canyon Audubon Society was formed in 1990 and is one of 11 National Audubon Society chapters in Colorado. The BCAS is committed to the conservation of natural resources through our birding, conservation, and educational activities. The region covered by the Black Canyon Audubon society encompasses nearly 8,300 square miles and includes Delta, Gunnison, Hinsdale, Montrose, San Miguel and Ouray counties. Within this region, elevations vary from 4,695 to 14,309 feet above sea level. Rainfall ranges from less than 8 inches per year in the lower valleys to more than 50 on the higher peaks. Vegetation varies from desert scrub to boreal forest and alpine tundra.
- To promote the conservation of natural resources through informative public programs, our newsletter and this web site.
- To provide the opportunity for the observation and study of birds and other wildlife, through our field trips.
- To offer early education programs including bird banding stations and classroom bird skin programs.
- To empower our members and the public with the knowledge to be effective environmental advocates.
- To contribute to the recovery of the Gunnison Sage Grouse (GUSG) through joint efforts with GUSG working groups and federal and state agencies.
Click Below for the Current Issue of the
Pinyon Jays by Shawn Connor
Thursday, November 7, 7:00 p.m., Montrose: Shawn Connor, biologist with BIOlogic, will present about his research project on Pinyon Jays. The program will be held at the Montrose Field House at the corner of Rio Grande and Colorado Avenue at 7:00 p.m. There is no charge and everyone is invited to attend.
Upcoming Field Trips:
First Tuesday Birding Trips
Bostwick Park and Kinikin Road Field Trip
Blue Mesa Reservoir Field Trip
Leucistic Red-tailed Hawk near Solar Road south of Montrose. Photo taken by Robin Lewis on March 26, 2019.
BCAS Donations Through AmazonSmile.com
Although we encourage everyone to shop locally, in the event that you choose to make a purchase through Amazon, please do so by way of AmazonSmile.com and select the Black Canyon Audubon Society as the organization that a percentage of your eligible Amazon purchases will be sent automatically as a charitable contribution. Purchases must be made by going to AmazonSmile for this to take place. Anyone can support the Black Canyon Audubon Society by choosing us as your designated AmazonSmile.com non-profit organization by clicking the link below: